When you buy through our links, Insider may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
- As states begin gradual reopening amid the COVID-19 pandemic, popular vacation home rental site Vrbo is reporting increased interest in private rentals for July 4.
- Vrbo released a list of the top 10 destinations receiving the most user searches for the holiday weekend this year, which is up from the same time last year.
- Vrbo users primarily search for homes on the east coast located near the beach or near state parks in areas like the Florida Panhandle, Cape Cod, the Outer Banks, the Hamptons, and more.
- If you are also interested in these places, we have selected Vrbo for attractive homes with desirable amenities that are still available for rent for the weekend of July 4 and include up-to-date COVID-19 cleaning protocols.
As states actively move to phased reopening after COVID-19 closures, many American travelers are likely considering domestic travel options.
This careful recalibration coincides with summer, which is a peak time for Americans to travel. The July 4th holiday, in particular, has traditionally been a popular time to do so, as many take advantage of the free time at work and school.
While staying home and secluding yourself is still by far the most prudent approach to safety, many are considering options for getting out into the world, and experts we spoke to say home rentals private rooms are safer than hotel stays.
Hotels can involve high-volume situations and high-traffic areas, while a private rental gives families more control over their hygiene and personal space. Of course, all travel has risks, and without a vaccine, there is no guarantee of safety. We recommend following WHO and CDC guidelines before making plans and wearing masks, using hand sanitizer, and maintaining social distancing.
With interest in private rentals apparently on the rise, the popular home rental site Vrbo is reporting that user demand is significantly higher compared to the same period last year.
Many Americans are looking for a safe summer vacation rental for the upcoming July 4 weekend in 10 popular locations, based on Vrbo user site searches and registered properties. While they haven’t released specific numbers, the site says accommodation searches for July 4 are much higher this year, especially in places like the Hamptons in New York City, which garner nearly two times more interest than at the same time last year.
The trend follows another recent surge in Vrbo users who expressed a strong interest in log cabins, which made up almost a third of vacation homes recorded on user dashboards.
According to Vrbo, the most requested destinations for July 4th are:
- Florida Panhandle, Florida
- Gulf Shores, Alabama
- The Hamptons, New York
- Hilton Head, South Carolina
- San diego, california
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Outside Banks, North Carolina
- Gatlinburg, Tennessee
- Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Charleston, South Carolina
If you’re also intrigued by the possibility of a 4th of July getaway to the places on this list, we’ve combed through Vrbo to select some attractive homes with great amenities that are still available to book for the weekend. end of vacation, upon publication. But act quickly; the previous houses that we considered reserved before our eyes.
Most are top rated, although some newer properties have yet to be reviewed, but look promising enough for such a busy weekend.
We have also identified the COVID-19 cleaning policies for each property, if indicated in the property description. Under Vrbo’s Trust & Safety guidelines, they have partnered with medical experts – as well as experts in the travel industry – to create specific cleanliness protocols for all guests. Guests are also encouraged to contact individual hosts to inquire about cleaning procedures for each property.
While the prices below represent good value for money, keep in mind that this is an exceptionally in demand holiday weekend, the prices are much higher than they would be otherwise, and stocks are low and likely to change quickly. If your travel dates are flexible, you might get a better deal by selecting a different weekend.
Here are the private house rentals in Vrbo available to book for the 4th of July weekend in the most popular vacation destinations.